Understanding Welfare Reforms

The council employs welfare benefit reform experts to assist any tenants who are struggling to cope with the financial impact of either the new under-occupancy (‘bedroom tax’) rules or the benefits cap, which is being introduced from next month.

The Federation is often contacted by so-called ‘under occupying’ tenants worried about how they will be able to make good the shortfall in their housing benefits or how they will cope if their total benefits exceed the new benefits cap limits. It seems clear that residents are feeling the financial cost of these reforms.

Whilst the Federation will continue to offer advice and support to any of its members facing difficulties because of these reforms, the first stage if you or a neighbours encounters such financial problems, is to first first speak to one of RBK’s specialists, who will be able to provide you with the very latest advice and support, and advise you as to what options may be available for you – including the possibility of your claiming short-term ‘discretionary housing benefit payment’, to make good any shortfall in your benefits.

RBK’s Welfare Reform Tenant Liaison Officers are:

Caroline Bartos – Email:  Caroline.Bartos@kingston.gov.uk  – tel. 020 8547 5703 (direct line)

Balvir Berry – Email:  Balvir.Berry@kingston.gov.uk  tel. 0208 547 5740 (direct line)

RBK has a page on its website where updates on welfare reforms are published.